Other employment outside the university sector

You may be employed by another institution or organisation, on what is known as another external doctoral studentship. In all cases in which you are employed by someone other than the university, an agreement between your employer and the university should exist, regulating the terms of your employment and studies. 

In all such cases, in order for the university to have admitted you for a doctoral position, it must have assessed that financing is secured for the duration of your studies and it must have assessed that you will be able to devote enough time to your studies. 

In all cases of external employment, it is important to remember you are a student, even if you don’t spend all your time at the university, and as such you have the rights and obligations of a student.