As a (doctoral) student in Sweden, housing is not usually offered by the university – you need to find your own. 

However, the student union or unions in some cities have some  housing for students, including doctoral students. You should check with your local student union about applying for housing. It’s likely that you need to be a member of the student union in order to apply. You can join a student union as soon as you’ve been registered as a doctoral student, even before coming to Sweden or getting a personal number, and you should join as soon as possible.

Many of the housing systems involve a queue, where you accumulate points for each day you are in the queue – you should make sure to join the queue (may be a separate action from joining the union) as soon as possible. 

In addition, some universities do have some housing options for doctoral students. These are quite limited and most often apply to doctoral students coming from abroad. You can ask your HR department about these options. You can also ask your colleagues and support structures for advice with other options, such as municipality queues. 

It is strongly recommended in Sweden to have home insurance. This type of insurance entitles you to compensation for your privately owned property in the event of theft or damage. It also usually covers personal liability and legal expenses, and often includes some travel insurance in case of illness or accident.